If you are on WordPress, we recommend you ask us to automate backups for you. This will store a monthly, weekly, or daily backup of your database on your hosting account or at a remote location such as Google Drive or DropBox.
If data backup is not being stored at a remote location, it is highly recommended that a local copy (a copy on your own computer) is retained for emergencies.
To back up a local copy of your database:
- Log in to your cPanel and enter your login credentials.
- The cPanel URL and your username and password information is located in the cPanel & FTP section of your “New Hosting Account” welcome email.
- In the “Files” section of cPanel, click on the Backup Wizard icon.
- Click the Backup--> button below the details in Section 1.
- Under Section 2, under “Select Partial Backup,” click the MySQL Databases-->
- You may also choose to backup your entire site. In this case, choose Full Backup-->.
- Right click on your database name, and “Save Link As” to a location on your computer for safekeeping.
- If you have more than one database, repeat step 5.
With your database and/or site content automatically backed up locally or to a remote location, you are assured that should a problem arise, you or Monterey Bay Design will be able to restore your database from your last backup.
To make this process easier, Monterey Bay Design offers Monthly or Quarterly Site Maintenance for WordPress sites. During this process we can ensure backups are running smoothly, update your WordPress core files, plugins and theme and insure your site is running healthy and secure.